Monday, April 28, 2014

Workouts, Playing by Ear!

While waiting for spots allocation in the Panamerican Championship, and also the definition of the Panamerican Games trials, I go playing by ear on my training periodization.
 
Self-coaching its not an easy call, specially when recently leaving one of the best coaches in the world. I do miss a lot of Siri Lindley's guidance, but on this season I will need to play with the cards I have.

The workouts need to follow a logic pattern, but not only based on numbers, Siri has taught me a lot of training by feel and building macrocycles carefully, to not only build expectations.
 
One of the hardest things on self-training is to define limits. Knowing when you are really tired, or when you can push a few more days before entering in the compensation stage.
 
As the idea is to train as hard as you can, we are always very close to the limits, and very often we go beyond this line. This will cost a few extra days to recover, but I don't think this is a big problem.The same way we want to overcome barriers on the race, why not to do it also with the training load!?
 
Although, you may not over-training close to races, as the side effects can last for more than a week. The stress its a lot bigger than pushing yourself 110% in the race day.
 
On this last week I had to step on the brakes. I was only with 1000 meters in, and I couldn`t swim 50m more!! I felt really weak, so I went back home and slept for 2 hours, following of two days off...

Training for 16 year, I have notice my range is about 3 hard weeks, by an easy one.
Starting the Mesocycle!! 

The first week, or microcycle is a super hero one!
Like a horse, I do strong and graceful workouts!
One after another, recovering fast, not rare to meet or improve personal bests.
Afterwards still having energy to walk the dog!

On the second week I know I am tired when talking to my sweet heart, Florência. If its not easy to understand women, try when tired and not in your first language!! Lol 
It gets hard to wake up and I will avoid any extra walk.
Besides painful, some workouts still surprisingly fast!
 
The 3rd week is muy,muy dura!! Not even in Portuguese I can communicate...
Not rare to get the phone and ask my self, who the hell I was suppose to call!? 
I also store empty cups in the fridge and forget about compromises.
I will only walk if the goal is to get food!!
The swimming pool gets heavier, the streets becomes hilly and the clock is always in a hurry!
Still strong workouts, but not very fast and nothing elegant!!
The End of Mesocycle!

No comments:

Post a Comment