Sunday, April 13, 2014

18th at Salinas ITU Panamerican Cup

It seemed that I was not suppose to race!

A day before my flight, I was checking the start-list and I wasn't there. I couldn't figure why not, as a week ago my name was right there, on the race website... Email sent to the Brazilian National Federation.

Follow the trip to Miami, and once I got there the airline told me one of my bags was still in LA, but not to worry as they have it already on the next flight and they would send it straight to my final destination, Guayaquil.

Stop over a few hours in Quito, and I rushed to open my email with no news from my National Federation.

In Guayaquil, I went directly to look for my missed bag, and I got the news that now both of my bags were missing. One was in Miami, and my bike was in Quito. #Grrrr!!
(Salinas Beach)
 
Another 2 hours in the bus until get to Salinas, and this was the only time I had a good laugh... I asked the guy picking me up, how big was the car of the shuttle service, I was tired and was wondering if there would be enough space to lay down... He was affirmative: "Si, bastante grande, vamos en una buseta!!" Hahaha What in Portuguese with exactly the same words would mean: "Yes, big enough, we are going in a pussy." Lol

He was right, and I had a good nap on the buseta!
We got to Salinas at 5am, and I slept like a stone. On the next day the first thing was to look at my email and finally I have my registration done (again).
Nice! Just needed to get my lost stuff: bike, bike shoes, running shoes, helmet, race suit...
Meanwhile I was riding the stationary bike from the hotel's gym (pic above).

I wasn`t too scared, because I had a plan "b". I was lucky to find many friends willing to loan me their material, the junior race was happening on the day before.

Saturday, 5pm I finally got my bags! Rushing, but in time to build the bike up and go for a test ride.
 
Sunday, I was ready!! Due to a penalty for my "late" registration I couldn't choose where to start, so I got the only place left over.

I was in a good day, had a strong start, and was always swimming with that big block, that ended up being the first group on the bike. 
During the bike I was feeling bad, but feeling bad due to the restful rhythm, the group was averaging only 22 mph! I tried many breakaways, just pushing a bit harder and I had a 10, 20secs gap. But then someone would catch me bringing the entire group! I was fine with that, I was having fun more than taking the chance of a sucessful breakaway, plus everytime someone would need to burn legs to catch me!
The run was the end of my playful time! 
Besides I felt good, my legs were heavy, I was missing agility on my strides...
Specially the first loop, it was really hard, and even thought about quitting, although quitting would not happening today!

It was bad, but also good!! This was what I could do today, more to come on the next week at the Brazilian National Championship!!

No comments:

Post a Comment