Wednesday, April 4, 2012

70.3 California!!

In 2012 I always placed #1 or #2, so to maintain number regularity, with my Ironman debut, I finished at #21!!

It was a great race, my only problem was the lack of experience with this distance race.

I arrived at the transition area 1 hour prior to the start.  I thought that this was plenty of time, but suddenly I was lost in the 2.500 bikes looking for the boxes to leave my bag of morning clothes and worrying that I still needed to find the starting line!

I entered in the water, and got a nice position, in less the 2 minutes, the cannon fired and the race was on ...

I had a good swim, leaving the water at 8th. On the bike I felt really uncomfortable with the new time trial position, which in the end cost a lot of time. I started the run frozen, but soon I caught a nice rhythm and  chased down my competitors, gaining many positions!

The worst part of the race were the transitions!  Wet with an average temperature of 54°F, I froze.  T1 was not bad, but at T2 when I left the bike on the rack my hands were numb so it took forever to take my helmet off and put my shoes on. 

I am pretty happy with the result.  I knew I couldn't expect that much especially because of the new bike position, but I think was a good way to kick off my long distance season!

Here it is a video with a bit for the Californian 70.3!!
Have Fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment