Thursday, July 17, 2014

My Izuzu and I, doing pretty well in the altitude!

Completing four weeks here in Boulder, we both are working much better, the main change was in our alimentation.
It is funny how we both work in the same way! Its not only how you eat, but how you metabolize your food. Its pointless using the highest octane fuel if there is no spike from the igniter to explode the calories up and propel the piston to make the machine to run.

To keep your battery at high energy levels, you need a good alternator, or a balanced endocrine system. For my Isuzu I had only to replace that piece, but for my system I had to find a balance with proper fuel. The dietician Megan Forbes, as I said on my last post, has helped me out on figuring out this balance and the main changes on my diet were more vegetables and fruits (as every Mom knows!); more protein (I was trying to avoid it as I want to drop muscle weight #notagoodidea); and supplements like multi-vitamins, amino-acids, selenium, iodine and a root called ashwagandha, that supports the adrenal system, which is related to the synthesis of cortisol and other hormones released by stress during the  intense workouts.

I am feeling great, and I bet my car too! Lol

Training wise I made a big change too, since last week I am joining Apex Coaching Team and have a new guidance for my workouts.
I am still working on my race schedule, but next big goals are only in October, part of the Olympic trials, I will be racing in Mexico (Cozumel) and Colombia (Cartagena).

I have promissed training videos, but unfortunetely the camera I got came defective, so all the videos I did, ended up with no áudio. L

Instead I used my good old camera to video tape the attempt to change the alternator of my Isuzu myself! I counted with a hand of my friend Raphael to do the work and you can find out on the video below if we were sucessful or not!!

With no sponsors and cutting all the expenses the most I can, I had to try doing the "procedure" myself. The initial cost for all the mechanic service was around 375 USD, so I bought a refurbished alternator for 75, and used my mechanic skills for the rest!

I am far away from calling myself a mechanic, but while I served the Brazilian Army in 2003, I was trained to be an official of warlike equipment, which included auto-mechanics and armour knowledge. 11 years later I was being tested if I still remember the lessons...


No comments:

Post a Comment