Sunday, June 12, 2011

14th at Ibero-American Championship


It was a hot race!
Many felt ill and all of us were struggling against themselves to resist the intense heat...
Here goes some words about the race with pictures of Cartagena!

The start with many athletes and no much space resulted in many punchs and kicks just after the horn...
I got two punches in the eye that left my gogles in an uncomfortable position the whole swim, at least did not enter salt water...

My visibility was diminished and I thought I was well positioned, but leaved the water at the end of the second group... I swam not bad, but leaving the water exhausted, I couldn't get a strong cycling in the very begining to make the group...

I did 40km time trial. Could not reach the first pack, and wasn't caught by the 2nd group...
I have not imagine myself riding alone, so I was without the aerobars, I think I could have cycled much better with the aerodinamic, the same time I was not upset and made it powerfull all the time...

Even knowing that I would be more fatigued than the athletes of the pack, I knew the high temperature, would break some heads along the course, which should be close to 95ºF, and 105ºF of thermal sensation.

I was right, after reach approximately 20 positions in the 10km, at the end was the best one!!
Just 200m from the finish line caught a Guatemalan who had written in the tri-suit the last name "Flores" so my head said "gooooooo" and the legs screaming threats of cramp pulls me up to the sprint, are running shoulder to shoulder, I won one last position!

I came wanting to lie on the floor (not like the lady above!! hehe) but I was afraid of burning myself on the asphalt that should be really hot, so I hold the legs strong for walk until the hidratation area!

Kind of sad of not having done the swim I expected, but happy to have overcome myself in another battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment